Great and Little Bookham are part of the Saxon settlement of Bocham, “the village by the Beeches”. Bookham, as the area is now known, is a semi-rural village within easy reach of London. Surrounded by National Trust countryside, open farmland, woods and commons, it’s ideal for families, walkers, runners, cyclists and, with many stables close by, horse-riding too. The wonderful rural setting and well-regarded schools (in both private and state sectors) make Bookham a great place to live.
Bookham has two commons, one each in Great and Little Bookham, both now owned by the National Trust. The London Natural History Society has been surveying Bookham Commons for more than fifty years, making it one of the best recorded sites for wildlife in Southeast England.
With thriving local shops including two butchers, a fishmonger, greengrocer, bakery, gift shops, Post Office and small supermarket, Bookham has everything for day-to-day living.
Polesden Lacey, a National Trust house and gardens with glorious views across the rolling Surrey Hills, is just over a mile away from Bookham High Street. It was home to Mrs Greville, a famous Edwardian hostess, who entertained royalty and the celebrities of her time. A visit to the house and gardens makes a delightful day out.
Bookham’s railway station, on the London Waterloo line has a journey time of around 55 minutes to Waterloo, ideal for commuting.
The name Fetcham is derived from the Anglo-Saxon "Fecca's ham", meaning Fecca's settlement. West of the town of Leatherhead, on the other side of the River Mole, it has a mill pond, springs and an associated nature reserve. The housing, as with adjacent Great Bookham, sits on the lower slopes of the North Downs, north of Polesden Lacey (NT).
Leatherhead Leisure Centre and Football Club are located in Fetcham Grove. Fetcham has two short parades of shops and services, several sports teams and parks, and a selection of pubs and food premises.
Effingham is a large, semi-rural village in the Borough of Guildford, reaching from the gently sloping northern plain to the crest of the North Downs. Effingham Junction railway station is 50m north of its boundary in East Horsley, where a branch of the Sutton and Mole Valley Lines joins the New Guildford Line, which have services terminating at London Waterloo.
Effingham is known for its medieval parish church, large common, generous sports park (the King George V playing fields), St Teresa's School (private girls' prep & senior school), the Howard of Effingham School (state secondary school).
Effingham Golf Club’s classic, Colt-designed, 6800 yard golf course is set in 264 acres of rolling countryside.
Leatherhead is an historic market town, surrounded by outstanding countryside. The Leatherhead Museum has traced the history of the town from its Anglo-Saxon beginnings in AD 880, when it was known as Leodridan, meaning "a place where people can ride across the river”.
Leatherhead is the gateway to the nationally important and beautiful Surrey Hills, including Box Hill – made famous by the London 2012 Olympic road cycle race. In the centre of Surrey, and just off junction 9 of the M25, Leatherhead is a successful business centre, with a vibrant business community and home to many national and international companies.
Leatherhead Railway Station has services to London Waterloo, London Victoria, and London Bridge, and connects with the Tramlink and Underground at Wimbledon. It also has services to Dorking, Horsham and Guildford.
The earliest mention of Westhumble village (although it is more accurately a chapelry or hamlet) is in the Assizes Rolls of 1248, in which it appears as Wystumble. The name is thought to derive from the Old English ‘wice’ meaning Wych (Elm) and the Middle English ‘stumbel’, meaning tree stump.
The oldest building is the ruined chapel at the west end of the village, of which only the west gable and parts of the east end remain. The 18th-century novelist Fanny Burney built a house in the village in 1797 with her husband, Alexandre D'Arblay, a French General.
The journey time from Box Hill and Westhumble station to London Waterloo or Victoria is approximately 55 minutes. The station houses a cycle and coffee shop, and the Stepping Stones pub is just down the road. In the heart of National Trust countryside, Westhumble is popular with cyclists and walkers alike.
The Denbies Estate, with its award winning wines, offers tours and events throughout the year. The vineyard can be accessed by footpaths from Westhumble and the estate has a gift shop, restaurants and farm shop selling local produce.
Mickleham appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Michelham or Micleham, and features in the 1815 Jane Austen novel Emma.
In the centre of the village, St Michael and All Angels church has a Norman tower and chancel arch, and includes the Norbury Chapel, which dates back to 1300. The outside wall has an unusual chequered design with flint and stone.
The village boasts two excellent pubs, The Running Horses (opposite the church) and the King William IV (Byttom Hill), a village shop, and Frascati’s, an Italian restaurant. Mickleham Village Hall is a venue for local events and is available for hire. The village has schools for all ages: St Michael’s Community Nursery, St Michael’s C of E (aided) Infant School, and Box Hill, an independent secondary school.